Why Are They So Common?
Many property owners are faced with asbestos problems because prior to knowing its health hazards it was used in a number of consumer products that could be found all over your home. These include:
- Hot water pipe insulation
- Roofing and siding shingles
- Wall and attic insulation
- Stove top heat pads
- Millboard or cement sheets used around stoves and fireplaces
- Vinyl floor tiles
- Furnace and oven door gaskets
Asbestos use dates far back to the early 1900s and as recent as the 1980s. As a result, many older homes (especially heritage buildings), even those that have been renovated may contain asbestos.
Why Is Asbestos Such A Problem?
Prolonged exposure to high concentrations of asbestos has been linked to several serious ailments like:
- Asbestosis: A scarring of the lungs which makes breathing difficult
- Mesothelioma: A rare cancer of the lining of the chest or abdominal cavity
- Asbestosis Pleural Disease: A non-malignant disease that causes scarring of the thin membranes lining the lung and chest
- Lung cancer
Does Your Toronto Property Have An Asbestos Problem?
If your home is more than 20 years old, chances are that there are asbestos products in there. If you suspect you have an asbestos issue, don’t try and inspect or remove it on your own. Without the proper training and tools you are unnecessarily putting yourself in harm’s way. Since the substance is a known carcinogen (cancer-causing substance) with links to many debilitating ailments, it requires immediate professional remediation.
Put an end to the guesswork and reduce your health risks by scheduling asbestos testing by certified inspectors right away. It’s the only way to know for sure.
The Templar Environmental Services/Asbestos Analysis & Removal Services trained and qualified inspectors use a variety of techniques to complete your asbestos inspection and analysis. Our professional service staff will help you identify whether you have a problem, the extent of it, and more importantly, the best way to eliminate or contain it.