If you have an infestation of mould, cleaning it up as soon as possible is important for many reasons:
- Threat to Your Health: Mould is responsible for a number of health problems, from eye and nose irritations, to breathing difficulties, including asthma and allergic reactions.
- Discomfort: Mould is often accompanied by a bad, musty smell that can spread throughout your home.
- Property Damage: Mould feeds on organic matter, including dust and dirt, but also the wood and textiles that are used in the structure of your home or to cover your furnishings. If an infestation is not cleaned away, it can cause wood rot or irreparable damage to furniture and clothing.
Do Not Clean Mould Yourself
While cleaning a small growth using full precautions to prevent breathing in spores, may not cause any problems, you are not advised to partake in any mould cleaning for two main reasons:
- The Health Risks: To properly clean mould, you will need to get close to it for an extended period of time, which will make any ill health effects you experience even worse.
- It is Very Difficult to Completely Eliminate: Mould is notoriously difficult to get rid of for a number of reasons:
- It Grows in Hidden Areas: In a way, if you see mould growth, you’re lucky. There have been serious infestations in buildings where none were visible. But even if you see it, it’s very likely that what you see is only the tip of the iceberg and there is even more growth where you can’t see it.
- It Grows in Hard to Reach Areas: Mould spores need water before they can germinate. Sources of standing water in your home include cracks in your basement walls and floor, or small crevasses in your kitchen or bathroom. Mould grows into the deepest, tightest parts of cracks and crevasses making it very difficult to get rid of entirely.
In the very unlikely event that your home is completely cleared of mould, the problem will still exist because the conditions that originally caused the growth will still be there.
Use A Mould Removal Service
If you have an infestation, you are advised to find and contact a professional mould cleaning specialist like Templar Mould & Asbestos Analysis & Removal.They follow a proven process to safely detect and completely rid your premises of all mould, the health problems associated with it and its causes.
- The health & safety of the occupants of the building is our primary concern
- Seal and disinfect all contaminated surfaces
- Air sampling and testing to make sure the problem is gone