As the health risks of asbestos became known Health Canada and the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued warnings about prolonged exposure to this toxic substance. Prior to the discovery that continual contact can lead to many serious illnesses it was used in a number of industries like construction in vermiculite insulation, floor and ceiling tiles. If your home is more than 20 years old you need to schedule an asbestos inspection to determine whether or not you have this problem.
It is important to understand however that asbestos only becomes a health risk when the fibres are released into the air and can be breathed in as they can remain in the lungs for a very long time.
The Degree Of Severity Depends On A Number Of Factors Such As:
- The concentration of asbestos fibres in the air
- How long the exposure lasted
- How often you were exposed
- The size of the asbestos fibres inhaled
- The amount of time since the initial exposure
Asbestos has been deemed as a carcinogen (cancer causing substance) and continual exposure in high concentrations has been linked to many life-threatening ailments.
What Are The Health Risks Of Asbestos?
- Asbestosis: A scarring of the lungs which makes breathing difficult
- Mesothelioma: A rare cancer of the lining of the chest or abdominal cavity caused by prolonged (and high concentration) asbestos exposure
- Lung cancer
- Asbestosis Pleural Disease: A non-malignant disease that causes scarring of the thin membranes lining the lung and chest
Never try to inspect or remove asbestos yourself. Without the right tools and safety gear you are unnecessarily putting yourself in harm’s way. Additionally, disturbing products that contain asbestos can release the fibres into the air increasing the area of contamination and level of exposure.
Templar Mould/Asbestos Analysis & Removal Services offers certified inspectors to help determine the presence and level of risk in your home or business. The findings are verified by independent laboratory analysis to ensure maximum accuracy, and form the basis of our asbestos removal plan.
Call Templar Mould today at 416.209.4857 to have your vermiculite insulation tested and implement an asbestos removal plan if it is required.