Advice From A Trusted Toronto Mould Removal Company
Consider professional mould removal if your home or business premises has a serious problem. Prevent serious health risks that a mould inspection can bring to light. Mould is a fungus that grows on food or damp materials, and can be black, white or almost any colour. It may look like a stain or smudge and smell musty. Common places for mould to grow indoors are on window sills, fabrics, carpets and walls in kitchens, bathrooms and laundry areas.
Why Is Mould A Health Risk?
Mould releases “spores” into the air which are small enough to be breathed in by you. Breathing in large amounts of these spores and the by-products they produce have been linked to several health problems.
Symptoms of mould exposure include:
- Eye, nose and throat irritation
- Coughing and phlegm build-up
- Wheezing and shortness of breath
- Symptoms of asthma
- Allergic reactions
It is important to understand that individuals react to the presence of mould in different ways, depending upon the amount of exposure and the person’s overall health. Some are more vulnerable than others. Children, the elderly and those with a weakened immune system or other medical condition(s), such as asthma, severe allergies or other respiratory conditions are particularly at risk.
How To Prevent Mould?
Wet and damp conditions promote mould growth. Even after mould removal, it is important to take certain precautions to prevent reoccurrence.
Health Canada recommends these simple steps.
- When you see water or moisture, act quickly
- Check home foundation, walls, windows, roof, plumbing, tubs and sinks for water leaks
- Inspect window sills for condensation or moisture, particularly during the cold months
- Ventilate your home
- Ensure that the clothes dryer, bathroom and kitchen fans, stoves, and oil or propane heaters are vented outside
- Keep furniture and other belongings away from exterior walls to allow warm air to circulate
- Reduce the amount of stored materials, especially in the basement and closets
- Throw out wet and badly damaged or musty smelling items
- Do not store firewood inside the home
- Remove carpets in bathroom and basements that are damp
- Avoid storing items in cardboard boxes on basement floors
- Keep drains in kitchen, bathroom and basement floor clear of debris
- If possible, use air conditioners and dehumidifiers during humid weather
- Avoid hanging laundry to dry indoors when possible
- Remove dryer lint after each use
- Don’t over-water plants and watch for signs of mould in them
- Keep your sump pit covered
- Prevent water from entering your home
- Keep your home clean and dry
Knowing the source of your mould problem and fixing it helps reduce the risk of future outbreaks. This requires a detailed mould inspection and removal by experienced professionals.
Templar Environmental Services/Asbestos Analysis & Removal Services has the expertise to quickly and effectively correct any mould problem. The goal of every remediation project is to make your home or business comfortable and healthy again. We are one of the few companies to offer air-sampling following mould removal to ensure it has been completely eliminated from your Toronto property.